Becoming a Certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher (CIYT™) begins with long term, thorough and dedicated practice. One is a student of Iyengar Yoga before becoming a teacher.
For CIYTs, the Certification Mark demonstrates a commitment to maintaining the purity, excellence and high standards of Iyengar Yoga. CIYTs commit to teach the method set forth by B.K.S. Iyengar without mixing in other styles or disciplines. They maintain a regular personal practice, continue their training with senior teachers or by traveling to the Iyengar institute in India, and hold to ethical guidelines.
The IYNAUS Certification Manual is the complete source for information pertaining to Iyengar Yoga certification.
Certification of teachers of Iyengar Yoga in the United States is carried out by the B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States (IYNAUS). The process of certification has been designed and refined over many years under the guidance of B.K.S. Iyengar, Geeta Iyengar and Prashant Iyengar.
- A minimum of four years of continuous study and practice with a Certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher (CIYT) is required of anyone applying for assessment. Education programs for prospective teachers are offered by many qualified teachers and centers throughout the country (link to endorsed TT programs page).
- Candidates must be current members of IYNAUS in order to apply for assessment.
- Certified Iyengar Yoga Teachers (CIYT)s applying for a higher level certificate must also be current in Certification Mark fees.
- Candidates must have the approval of a qualified mentor and recommending teacher prior to applying for assessment.
- Candidates must not be pregnant at the time of assessment.
*Applicants who were enrolled in a teacher education program than commenced prior to May 1, 2017 and who have a minimum of three years of continuous study with a CIYT and three years of continuous practice at the time of application may apply for a waiver of the four-year requirement. Applicants who meet this requirement must write to the Certification Chair for a waiver.