Why Continuing Education for Teachers of Iyengar Yoga?
Yoga is a lifetime of learning. To fully understand the art, science, and philosophy of teaching yoga, certified Iyengar Yoga (CIYT) teachers are required to complete thirty (30) hours of continuing education each year.
Policy on Continuing Education (CE) Hours.
The following CE hours must be met annually to maintain IYNAUS CIYT status.
- At least 30 hours of continuing education
- Of these 30 hours, a minimum of 25 hours must be in the area of asana, pranayama, yoga philosophy, or therapeutics taught by a CIYT or RIMYI teacher.
Below is a list of required and optional classes which count as CE for IYNAUS CIYTs.
- All classes with Abhijata Iyengar, Prashant Iyengar, and other RIMYI instructors are eligible for continuing education credit. This includes the free YouTube video: Online Education in Yoga by Prashant S. Iyengar.
- Classes with your regular CIYT mentor or teachers (all CIYT levels acceptable) DO count towards annual hours.
- One month of in-person study at RIMYI counts for 30 hours/year for two years, including the year and following year of attendance.
- For CE purposes, workshops must be taken with CIYT Level 2 or above.
- Therapy workshops must be taken with CIYT Level 3 and above for CE purposes.
- Anatomy/Physiology and CPR hours can be used for up to three hours of CE.
- CIYTs are welcomed and encouraged to go beyond the minimum required annual hours.
How are Continuing Education Hours Logged?
Teachers are required to update their record of virtual or in-person attendance in classes, workshops, conventions, conferences, and at RIMYI, on their personal page on the IYNAUS website annually before they renew their CIYT Certification Mark/fee and pay their IYNAUS dues. Failure to do so may result in delaying renewal or suspension of their CIYT certification.