Since its inception, IYNAUS' Yoga Research Committee has been committed to fostering Iyengar Yoga research in order to show the benefits of Iyengar yoga as a means of improving mental, physical, and spiritual health. On this site you will find a compilation of research involving Iyengar Yoga, from sources including research and medical journals to articles written by health professionals within the Iyengar community.
It is our aim that the collation of these findings will create a broader picture of Iyengar Yoga and the way this particular practice of yoga is being seen and utilized in yoga and medical communities worldwide. We also aspire to illuminate gaps in our research and knowledge, inspiring further investigation and publication in order to create more visibility for Iyengar Yoga. We encourage the Iyengar community to utilize this website and contribute any new information that is discovered or published. Please send citations and links to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope that our work, combined with the committed efforts of the National Institute of Health's National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, will further the study of yoga and engender awareness and acceptance of alternative forms of health care.
- DeBenedetto, et al. (2005) Effect of a gentle Iyengar yoga program on gait in the elderly: an exploratory study.
- Oken, et al. (2006) Randomized, controlled, six-month trial, yoga in healthy seniors: effects on cognition and quality of life.
- Patel, et al. (2011) The effects of yoga on physical functioning and health related quality of life in older adults: s systematic review and meta-analysis
- Song, et al. (2008) Yoga Poses Can Prevent Falls In Women Over 65. Temple University Gait Study Center.
AMYTROPHIC LATERAL SCLEROSIS
- Ribeiro, Subbappa. (2013) Iyengar yoga therapy as an intervention for cramp management in individuals with amytrophic lateral sclerosis: three case reports. (The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2013)
ANXIETY/DEPRESSION AND STRESS
- Michalsen, et al. (2010) Iyengar Yoga for distressed women: a 3-armed randomized controlled trial. (Evidence Based Alternative and Complementary Medicines, 2012)
Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3463199/
- Shapiro, et al. (2008) Iyengar Yoga as a Complementary Treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
- Shapiro, et al. (2007) Yoga as a Complementary Treatment of Depression: Effects of Traits and Moods on Treatment Outcomes. (Evidence Based Complementary Alternative Medicine, 4(4):493-502)
Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2176141/
- Streeter, et al. (2012) Effects of yoga on the autonomic nervous system, gamma-aminobutyric-acid, and allostasis in epilepsy, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder. (Med Hypotheses, May, 78(5):571-9)
Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22365651
- Streeter, et al. (2007) Yoga Asana sessions increase brain GABA levels: a pilot study. (Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, May, 13(4):419-26)
Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17532734
- Streeter, el al. (2010) Effects of Yoga Versus Walking on Mood, Anxiety, and Brain GABA levels: a Randomized Controlled MRS Study. (Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, Nov; 16(11):1145-52)
Retrieved from http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/acm.2010.0007 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20722471
- Woolery, et al. (2004). A Yoga Intervention for Young Adults with Elevated Symptoms of Depression. (Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, Mar/Apr, 10(2),60-63)
Retrieved from http://www.modernhcp.com/INNO-PDFS/IMCJ-PDFS/BE8EAF15F08842A291DC88418F8F9BA5.ashx.pdf
- Bukowski, et al. (2007) The effect of Iyengar yoga and strengthening exercises for people living with osteoarthritis of the knee: a case series.
- Evans, et al. (2010). Iyengar Yoga for Young Adults with Rheumatoid Arthritis: Results From a Mixed-Methods Pilot Study. (Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 39(4) 904-913) Retrieved from
- Kolasinski, et al. (2005) Iyengar yoga for treating symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knees: a pilot study.
- Sabina, et al. (2005) Yoga intervention for adults with mild-to-moderate asthma: a pilot study. (Annals of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, 94, 5) Retrieved from
- Cox et al. (2010) A pragmatic multi-centred randomised controlled trial of yoga for chronic low back pain: trial protocol. (Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice) Retrieved from
- John Hopkins Health Alert. Yoga Therapy.
- Selfridge, (2010) From Padasana to Pain Relief: Iyengar Yoga for Chronic Low Back Pain. (Alternative Medicine Alert, 13, 1)
Retrieved from http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/47531676/from-padasana-pain-relief-iyengar-yoga-chronic-low-back-pain
- Williams, et al. (2009) Evaluation of the Effectiveness and Efficacy of Iyengar Yoga Therapy on Chronic Low Back Pain. (SPINE, 14,19)
Retrieved from http://www.innerfocusphysio.com.au/resources/Evaluation%20of%20the%20Effectiveness%20and%20Efficacy%20of%20Iyengar%20Yoga%20Therapy%20on%20Chronic%20Low%20Back%20Pain.pdf
- Williams, et al. (2005) Effects of Iyengar Yoga Therapy for Chronic Lower Back Pain. (Pain, May, 115,1-2)
Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15836974
- Banasik, et al. (2011) Effect of Iyengar yoga practice on fatigue and diurnal salivary cortisol concentration in breast cancer survivors.
- Bower, et al. (2012) Yoga for persistent fatigue in breast cancer survivors: a randomized controlled trial.
- Danhauer, et al. (2008) Restorative yoga for women with ovarian or breast cancer: findings from a pilot study.
- Galantino, et al. (2008) Impact of yoga on functional outcomes in breast cancer survivors with aromatase inhibitor–associated arthralgias. (Sage Journals)
Retrieved from http://ict.sagepub.com/content/11/4/313.abstract
- Schultz, et al. (2007) Down-regulated lymphocyte NF-kB activation in breast cancer survivors following yoga participation.
- Schultz, Iyengar Yoga improves immunity for women with breast cancer.
- Speed-Andrews, (2010) Special Yoga Classes Aimed at Breast Cancer Survivors Improves Recovery.
- Duncan, et al. (2008) Impact and outcomes of an Iyengar yoga program in a cancer centre. (Current Oncology, August; 15(Suppl 2)
Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2528557/
- Dhanunjaya Lakkireddy, MD, et al. (2013) Effect of Yoga on Arrhythmia Burden, Anxiety, Depression, and Quality of Life in Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation – The YOGA My Heart Study. ( Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Volume 61, Issue 11)
Retrieved from http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.aspx?articleid=1567301
CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME
- Garfinkle, et al. (1998) Yoga based intervention for carpal tunnel syndrome. (The Journal of the American Medical Association, Volume 280, No. 18)
Retrieved from http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=188150
CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE
- Donesky-Cuenco, et al. (2009) Yoga therapy decreases dyspnea-related distress and improves functional performance in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a pilot study. (Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine)
Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3051406/
- Alexander, et al. (2010) "I could move mountains" adults with or at risk for type 2 diabetes reflect on their experiences with yoga practice.
GENERAL HEALTH & WELL BEING
- Belluz, J. (2015) I read more than 50 scientific studies about yoga. Here is what I learned. http://www.vox.com/2015/7/22/9012075/yoga-health-benefits-exercise-science
- Flegal, et al. (2007) Adherence to yoga and exercise interventions in a 6-month clinical trial. (BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2007)
Retrieved from http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/7/37
- Lea, (2009) Liberation or limitation? Understanding Iyengar yoga as a practice of the self. (Sage Journals)
Retrieved from http://bod.sagepub.com/content/15/3/71.abstract
- Harner, et al. (2010) Effect of Iyengar yoga on mental health of incarcerated women: a feasibility study.
- Hasselle-Newcombe, (2005) The development of modern yoga: a survey of the field.
Retrieved from http://books.google.com/books?id=B-J0e2L-w_oC&pg=PA246&lpg=PA246&dq=hasselle-newcombe+2005+iyengar+yoga&source=bl&ots=f8ySEPiTQG&sig=OuNBxJRORSqYuNFDbwHi9lOtI1A&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MeleUt-6D-il2AXG24GoDA&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=hasselle-newcombe%202005%20iyengar%20yoga&f=false
- Harvard Medical School (2010) Yoga for a better sex life?
- Khattab, et al. (2007) Iyengar yoga increases cardiac parasympathetic nervous modulation among healthy yoga practitioners.
- Raub, (2002) Psychophysiologic effects of hatha yoga on musculoskeletal and cardiopulmonary function. (Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, Vol 8 Issue 6)
Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12614533
- Ross, et al. (2010) The health benefits of yoga and exercise: a review of comparison studies. (Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine Volume 16, Issue 1)
Retrieved from http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/acm.2009.0044
- Ross, et al. (2012) Frequency of yoga practice predicts health: results of a national survey of yoga practitioners. (Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine)
Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3425136/
- Shurmur, et al. (2011) Yoga may also calm a dangerous irregular heatbeat.
- Van Puymbroeck et al. (2007) A phase 1 feasibility study of yoga on the physical health and coping of informal caregivers. (Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 4,4)
Retrieved from http://www.aeyt.org/resources/A%20Phase%20I%20Feasibility%20Study%20of%20Yoga%20on%20the%20Physical%20Health.pdf
- Cohen, MD et al. (2011) Yoga and Hypertension. (The Journal of Clinical Hypertension > Vol 9 Issue 10 >) Retrieved from
- Cohen, et al. (2009) Iyengar Yoga versus enhanced usual care on blood pressure in patients with prehypertension to stage I hypertension: a randomized controlled trial. (Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2011)
Retrieved from http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2011/546428/
IMMUNE SYSTEM FUNCTION
IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME (IBS)
- Evans, et al. (2011) Protocol for a randomized controlled study of Iyengar yoga for youth with irritable bowel syndrome.
- Cohen, et al. (2007) Feasibility and acceptability of restorative yoga for treatment of hot flushes: a pilot trial. (Maturitas 56 (2): 198-204)
Retrieved from http://www.torna.do/s/Feasibility-and-acceptability-of-restorative-yoga-for-treatment-of-hot-flushes-a-pilot-trial/
- Elavsky, et al. (2007) Personality, menopausal symptoms, and physical activity outcomes in middle-aged women.
- Oken, et al. (2004) Randomized controlled trial of yoga and exercise in multiple sclerosis. (Neruology June 8, 2004 vol. 62)
Retrieved from http://www.neurology.org/content/62/11/2058.abstract
- Michalsen, et al. (2012) Yoga for chronic neck pain tested.
- Danhauer, et al. (2008) Restorative yoga for women with ovarioan or breast cancer: findings from a pilot study.
- Sareen et al. (2007) Yoga: A tool for improving the quality of life in chronic pancreatitis. (World Journal of Gastroenterology, 13,3)
Retrieved from http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/abstract_en.asp?f=391&v=13
- Mehta, (2007) Yoga and Parkinson's disease.
RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME
- Innes, et al. (2012) Effects of a gentle yoga program on Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) symptoms and related outcomes in women with RLS: a pilot study.
SPINAL CORD INJURY
- Zwick, (2006). Integrating Iyengar yoga into rehab for spinal cord injury. (Nursing, Oct, 36(Issue) 18-22)
Retrieved from http://journals.lww.com/nursing/Fulltext/2006/10002/Integrating_Iyengar_yoga_into_rehab_for_spinal.6.aspx